Constipation is caused by wrong bowel habits, According to Ayurveda it is mainly caused by aggravation of Vata (air) though it can sometimes be caused by aggravation of pitta and kapha.
Constipation is a symptom, not a disease.
- Are you taking Excessive use of the oily and spicy Food?
- Are you suffering from Anxiety, depression and anger?
- Are You Taking Irregular eating habit?
- Are You Taking Consumption of Maida products in large quantity?
- Are You taking leafy vegetables in excess?
- Are You Taking Sleeping just after taking meal?
- Are You Drinking excessive water?
- Are You awaked at night for work?
- Are You Taking Excessive intakes of the caffeine and nicotine products?
- Are You suffering from Constipation?
- Are You Taking Carbonated Drinks?
- Are You Taking Foods which are rich in fats, such as chocolates cause acidity or acid reflux disease?
- Are you taking Excessive intake of alcohol, smoking, keeping stomach empty for long time, skipping breakfast causes acidity?
- Are you suffer from Nausea, vomiting, and loss of desire to eat which may persist for 1-2 days?
- Are you suffering from Heartburn or sour belching?
- Are you getting a sense of abdominal distension or ‘bloating’?
- Are you getting Flatulence (burping, belching)?
- Are you getting Blood vomiting or blood in stool may occur in severe cases?
Some causes of constipation include
- Antacid medicines containing calcium or aluminum
- Changes in your usual diet or activities
- Colon cancer
- Eating a lot of dairy products
- Eating disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson's disease or multiple sclerosis
- Not being active
- Not enough water or fiber in your diet
- Overuse of laxatives
- Problems with the nerves and muscles in the digestive system
- Resisting the urge to have a bowel movement, which some people do because of hemorrhoids
- Some medications (especially strong pain drugs such as narcotics, antidepressants, or iron pills)
- Underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism)
- Detoxification programme
- Panchkarma therapy
- Life style modification programme
- Naturopathy therapy
What should I do if I am constipated?
Take these steps:
- Drink two to four extra glasses of water a day, unless your doctor told you to limit fluids for another reason.
- Try warm liquids, especially in the morning.
- Add fruits and vegetables to your diet.
- Eat prunes and bran cereal.
- If needed, use a very mild over-the-counter stool softener like docusate or a laxative like magnesium hydroxide. Don’t use laxatives for more than 2 weeks without calling your doctor. If you overdo it, your symptoms may get worse.
- Eat a well- balanced diet with plenty of fiber. Good sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole-grain bread and cereal (especially bran).
- Drink 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of water and other fluids a day (unless your doctor has you on a fluid-restricted diet). Fiber and water work together to keep you regular.
- Avoid caffeine . It can be dehydrating.
- Cut back on milk. Some people may need to avoid it because dairy products may be constipating for them.
- Exercise regularly. Do something active for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.
- Go to the bathroom when you feel the urge.