10 Big Reasons Why People in Delhi Rely More on Ayurveda These Days
For the first-time visitor to Delhi, the local population’s embrace of ayurvedic medicine (“ayurveda”) might come as a surprise. Everywhere you look, there are stores specializing in ayurveda and signs announce new classes, new treatments and new centers for ayurveda. So what’s going on? Here are 10 big reasons why people in Delhi rely more on ayurveda these days.
- Ayurveda is viewed as the equal of traditional Western medicine. In the West, ayurveda is still viewed as an “alternative medicine.” In Delhi, however, ayurveda is completely mainstream.
- Ayurveda comes with a 3,000-year tradition. Quick - try to name anything else in the modern world that has stood the test of time quite like ayurvedic medicine.
- Spices, herbs and diet supplements for ayurveda are easy to find. You don’t need to visit an ayurvedic center in Delhi or an ayurvedic hospital in Delhi to find important spices or herbs - they are everywhere you look. In the busiest neighborhoods of Delhi, it is possible to find street vendors selling herbs for just about any major ailment.
- Delhi has some of the most respected ayurveda practitioners in the world. If there were an Indian “hub” for ayurvedic medicine, it would be Delhi. Just as some cities become known as high-tech hubs and attract the best high-tech talent in the world (think Bangalore), some cities become known for other important industries or practices. And Delhi has become an ayurveda hub.
- Ayurveda treatments go hand-in-hand with popular pastimes such as yoga. Since ayurveda espouses a mind-body balance, it’s perhaps no surprise that disciplines such as yoga are a good match for ayurveda.
- The Indian government supports clinical and lab research on ayurvedic medicine. In many ways, ayurveda comes with the “stamp of approval” of the state, and that goes a long way towards introducing best practices into ayurvedic medicine. Not to mention there is plenty of testing of new herbs and compounds, giving practitioners the peace of mind of knowing that they are being protected by the government.
- It’s easy for the everyday person in Delhi to find hospitals and treatment centers. Since ayurvedic medicine is so popular, you can be assured that someone you know or someone in your extended family knows where to find the best ayurvedic treatment in Delhi, or where to find the best ayurvedic center in Delhi.
- Ayurvedic medicine ties into India’s deeply ingrained sense of spirituality. For many citizens in Delhi, ayurvedic treatments are so ingrained in society because they are based on the basic tenets of spirituality that date back to ancient Sanskrit days. In fact, the word “ayurveda” is derived from the Sanskrit words for “life” (ayur) and “science/knowledge” (veda).
- The embrace of Ayurvedic medicine could be a response to creeping Western globalism. Taking a big picture view, the popularity of ayurveda is a national response to the encroachment of the Western world on daily life. In a world filled with McDonald’s and Microsoft, it’s comforting to know that there is something uniquely Indian - ayurvedic medicine - that has forever changed the world.
- It works. Do you really think that so many people would seek out ayurvedic treatments if they didn’t have results? Changes in diet and lifestyle can have very visible impacts on mood and energy.
These are the 10 big reasons why people in Delhi rely more on ayurveda these days.
Whether you are looking for the latest ayurvedic treatment in Delhi, or exploring which ayurvedic hospital in Delhi is the best, you won’t have to look very far.